Tuesday, February 1, 2011

black history beauty, zora.

"Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me."

Zora Neale Hurston



Zora Neale Hurston celebrated the beauty of black self expression. I love reading about her as much as I love reading her work. She was gorgeous, and she did outrageous things with no hesitation. Things that make me wish I'd been there:

"Lest anyone forget her, Hurston made a wholly memorable entrance at a party following the awards dinner. She strode into the room--jammed with writers and arts patrons, black and white--and flung a long, richly colored scarf around her neck with dramatic flourish as she bellowed a reminder of the title of her winning play: "Colooooooor Struuckkkk!" Her exultant entrance literally stopped the party for a moment, just as she had intended."

-excerpted from Valerie Boyd's biography on the official Zora Neale Hurston website.

No comments:

Post a Comment