Thursday, May 12, 2011

"mother" defends decision to give 8-year-old daughter botox!

I'm still struggling for words to describe the kind of knot that formed in my stomach when I came across this story: Kerry, a mother from San Francisco, injects her 8-year-old daughter Britney with Botox, she says, to keep up with the kiddie pageant world in which she is involved. In an interview with Lara Spencer on Good Morning America this morning, Kerry and Britney talk about the process candidly (showing photos of the child during the process all bruised up, with ice packs and everything), saying they are definitely not the only ones who do this.

The (so-called) mother talks about it as if it was a joint decision between two adults. But in a very telling moment, when Britney is asked why she gets Botox done, she answers "I don't know"At this point you  see Kerry flinch at her daughter's answer, and throw her a look. And then you see the child look at her mother, receive the look, and snap back into her script, continuing "Oh yea, I see like, like wrinkles and, um, it just, like... I just like, don't think like, wrinkles are nice for a little girl."  I don't know if I would have believed it had I not seen the clip for myself:



The disturbing twist to this story is that the Botox almost completely eclipses the leg-waxing the child has also dabbled in, thanks to her (so called) mother.  Britney says in the end that she "looks way better, like beautiful, pretty, like all those kinds of nice words."  The little girl smiles throughout the interview, and the knot in my belly tightens with her every word.

1 comment:

  1. Apparently the US child beauty pageant scene is going to Australia...

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/11/3213866.htm

    We've never had them before, so this is very disturbing news.

    ReplyDelete