Friday, March 1, 2013

stopplayinwitme! they will rob you of your locs in johannesburg.

photo: ellis peters
Okay. New Series: Stopplayinwitme! It's the way I seem to react to things I find shocking in any way. It just flies out of my mouth, as it did when I read this story over at Clutch. Walk with me: The headline "Hair Theft: Cut-and-Run Robberies Target People with Locs in South Africa"  (Hunh?) ... It went on to talk about how people with long locs are being attacked and robbed of their hair on the streets of Johannesburg, South Africa, shorn with broken glass and what not; how the demand on the black market has locs selling for $200 to $2,000 rand. ... (What?) By the time I got to:
“I’m even afraid of walking through town with my locs loose especially at night. I make sure I cover my head. It is scary because you never know what they will use to cut your hair — these people are ruthless.” (Clutch)
I was like  Stopplayinwitme! 
Read the whole story here.
Just saying, on any given day, even today in 2013 U.S.A., at any given time, there's a dreadlock-wearing woman wondering if it was the hair, since everything else seemed to have gone so well at the interview (not that she would change anything about the hair; she just wonders).
Thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment